1984 Celica Supra MA61

Här skriver vi om våra bilar, vilket innebär information och/eller ett projekt om bilen, endast Toyotor. Glöm ej att ange bilmodell, chassikod och årsmodell i rubriken!
Kategoriregler
Med Classics menar vi modeller som kom före den stora förändringen som framhjulsdrift, insprutning, tvärställd motor, nya karosser och bottenplattor så gränsen är något flytande kring 1985 - 1987. Glöm ej att ange bilmodell, chassikod och årsmodell i rubriken!
Christoph
Bilmodell: Celica Supra MA61
Årsmodell: 1984
PostOrt: Göteborg

1984 Celica Supra MA61

Inlägg av Christoph »

Hi all,

I am sorry for writing in english, I just moved to sweden and still have to learn swedish.

I am from Austria and own a 1984 Celica Supra, partly restored a few years ago.
Two weeks ago I moved her with me up to Sweden.

Bild

Now I have an issue and would need a trustworthy workshop or mechanic in or near Gothenburg to get the headgasket fixed. Can anybody help me with that?

Thanks a lot
Christoph
Användarens profilbild
Glenn
Super User
Bilmodell: Celica GT-Four ST205
Årsmodell: 96
PostOrt: Stockholm
Land (Country): Sverige

Re: 1984 Celica Supra MA61

Inlägg av Glenn »

Wecome to Sweden, and TCS :)

Hopefully someone near gbg can help ypu with a recommendation for someone to rebuild your engine.
Just nu: Celica GT-Four ST205 (Black sin) , Celica GT ST202 (kvicksilver), Pontiac Fiero GT V6, SAAB 9-5 Aero sportsedan (Goldie), SAAB 9-5 Aero sportcombi, SAAB 9-5SE 2.0 turbo (silversaaben), Opel Astra (skruttomobilen) Suzuki GSX1100e (brööl), Suzuki GS500e (bumse), Honda NX650 Dominator.

Snabba bilar, motorcyklar, bävrar, oboy, öl, söta flickor.

http://www.repulsiv.se
Christoph

Inlägg av Christoph »

Thank you! :)

Actually I am working in Gothenburg for almost a year now based on business trips, but now as I moved here completely things can only get better :)

I will upload some pictures of the part restauration of the Supra soon that I did 5 years ago.

She was sitting in my garage for three years untouched because I was always on business trips and did not have time.
Cleaning and greasing the brake mechanics was actually all that had to be done to get her back on the road.

After a few kilometers to check everything I started the trip up here and further to Norway for an Ice drift event. Unfortunately after 3000kms driving and checking oil and water levels regulary it seems that the cooler cap broke and there was no pressure on the cooling system anymore. I guess thats the reason for the headgasket to fail.
Actually she is driving and working without smoking but less power and the 3rd and 4th cylinder have no compression...
Zoomorphic
PostOrt: Sverige

Inlägg av Zoomorphic »

I would recommend to buy another engine to swap fast, just the cost for labor is going to be massive if you are going to have a mechanic to do it. If you havent good pal where you can work and just swap the parts you need.

Regards Michael
Bygger hellre än kör!
Christoph

Inlägg av Christoph »

I fear that it will cost a lot... Its not the cheapest country to have repairs :D

I have a very good friend who could do it, but he is near Oslo unfortunately...

But your point raises another question... I need to register the car in Sweden... How big are the possibilities to get another engine, i mean not a 5M, but a JZ engine, legally registered in that car here in Sweden?
Användarens profilbild
Glenn
Super User
Bilmodell: Celica GT-Four ST205
Årsmodell: 96
PostOrt: Stockholm

Inlägg av Glenn »

I would try to register the car with the current engine, and then swap it later if you want to swap to another type.

The guys that doing registration is MUCH better at spotting modifications than the guys that do the yearly check ("besiktning")

With that said, it is possible to do legal engine swaps if some things are fulfilled, and since this car is pre 1989
(1989 was the year all cars had to use catalytic converters) you maybe even could use a special rule that say that you
can upgrade older cars to cat, and then you should move the engive from a newer car including all the exhaust gas control system
and then you dont have to pass as much rules to get it legal. ..I think that you are also allowed to raise the power in
the engine slightly doing this swap, 10% or so.

If you are lucky you can also register the car as "flyttgods" if you move to sweden, but its not as useful as it used to be..
Just nu: Celica GT-Four ST205 (Black sin) , Celica GT ST202 (kvicksilver), Pontiac Fiero GT V6, SAAB 9-5 Aero sportsedan (Goldie), SAAB 9-5 Aero sportcombi, SAAB 9-5SE 2.0 turbo (silversaaben), Opel Astra (skruttomobilen) Suzuki GSX1100e (brööl), Suzuki GS500e (bumse), Honda NX650 Dominator.

Snabba bilar, motorcyklar, bävrar, oboy, öl, söta flickor.

http://www.repulsiv.se
Christoph

Inlägg av Christoph »

I thought so already... Just the people in Norway keep telling me that its so much easier in sweden to get modifications legal, so easier does not mean exactly easy ;)

10% more power would be legal to get? Then even a 7mge swap would be too much already...

It was my plan already to get the registration with the car being completely original and doing modifications later, now I just have to find someone to repair the headgasket...

What about suspension or brake upgrades, are they strict there?
Zoomorphic
PostOrt: Sverige

Inlägg av Zoomorphic »

Brakes and suspension they dont really care about, as long you havent changed the car so much that you disrupt the collision zones. But then you have to weld and modify alot! There is alot of laws preventing you doing anything on the car but here in sweden they dont really care, as long you dont have huge amount of power in the car and in the registration papers it says otherwise.

Regards Michael
Bygger hellre än kör!
Christoph

Inlägg av Christoph »

Its time to introduce it a bit more :)

I bought it in 2008 in a very bad shape, 8 preowners and a lot of abuse...

It took me 3 Years to find a garage to work on it and I had another project in the meantime aswell, an R33 Skyline for drifting...

So in 2011 we did a "fast" fix to bring it back to the road, it should have been just welding a few bits and getting the suspension, brakes and engine back to work... In the end it was a bit more work than expected, as usual ;)

Thats how it started:
Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

At some point a lot of the car looked like that:
Bild

Bild

And it started to look like a car again:
Bild

Bild

One fender was repainted really bad so there was surface rust everywhere... simple solution to fix it:
Bild

And it got more and more into shape:
Bild

Bild

After the paintjob it looked nice again:
Bild

Bild

And that was the final result, although it looks better in the picture than it is and as it is meant to be driven and not a beautyqueen it already has some bad bits all around again. But still a great result:

Bild

Bild

Bild
Användarens profilbild
Johnny Blade
Pay User
Bilmodell: Crown
PostOrt: Avesta
Kontakt: